Breaking News

#Number12: Nyantakyi apologizes to Akufo-Addo for ’embarrassment’

Nyantakyi apologizes to Akufo-Addo for ’embarrassment’
Kwesi Nyantakyi

Former President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Kwesi Nyantakyi has apologized to President Nana Akufo-Addo and his Vice, the Minister of Road and Highways and his deputy for the embarrassment he’s caused them.

“I gravely associated the highest office of the land –the presidency- with private discussions I had with ‘Scammers’ who deceived me into thinking they were genuine persons interested in investing in our country.”

“I hereby apologise unreservedly to the father of the Nation, H.E. Nana Akufo Addo, H.E. the Vice President, Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia, Hon. Ministers and Deputy Ministers of State for indiscretion in associating them with the private conversations on the video,” he added in a statement on Friday.

Nyantakyi was captured in a video by investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas using the name of the president to allegedly lure some investors who turned out to be undercover agents.

I acted alone; no gov’t official was involved

Kwesi Nyantakyi signed on Friday and said he takes full responsibility for the things he said in the video.

He acknowledged that his actions in the said video were “a series of errors of indiscretion.”

He also described Anas’ team as “Scammers.”

“I wish to clarify that at no time prior to or subsequent to any deliberations on the video did I consult, contact or inform any Government official about discussions on the video. I take sole and personal responsibility for the proceedings on the video,” he said in a statement on Friday.

President Akufo-Addo had earlier directed the Criminal Investigations Department to investigate Nyantakyi.

He resigned from the GFA on Friday after a meeting with the Association’s Executive Committee.

Police takes over GFA office; declares it a ‘crime scene’

Whereas government said it is taking steps to dissolve the GFA, the police took over the association’s headquarters on Friday.

A statement from the police said the place is now “a crime scene” and remains inaccessible to the staff and public until further notice.

“Police have started investigations into activities of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) and its officers, following the “Number 12” exposé by Tiger Eye PI. As a result, the premises and offices of the GFA have been sealed off and remain inaccessible to the staff of the GFA and the public until further notice,” the statement added.

Credit | citinewsroom

No comments